London, United States:
Hollywood actor Kevin Spacey is facing charges of sexual harassment in the UK, police and prosecutors said Thursday after reviewing allegations against him.
The two-time Oscar winner for “The Usual Suspects” and “American Beauty” was the artistic director of the Old Vic Theater in London between 2004 and 2015.
The allegations against him were first raised in the wake of the #MeToo movement which saw numerous allegations of sexual harassment and harassment in the movie industry.
This prompted an investigation by the London Metropolitan Police and a review of The Old Week by the time of the 62-year-old Spacey in charge there.
The Crown Prosecution Service said in a statement that it had “authorized criminal charges” against the actor for “four sexual assaults against three men”.
“A man has also been charged with engaging in intrusive sexual activity without consent,” said Rosemary Ainsley from the service.
“The allegations follow a metropolitan police review of the evidence gathered in its investigation,” added Ainsley, who heads the Special Crimes Division.
The Met has separately stated that the first two counts of sexual harassment date in London since March 2005 and the same person concerned, who is now in his 40s.
The third allegation is against a man in London in August 2008 who is now in his 30s. There are allegations that the same person has been the victim of separate charges.
A fourth sexual assault charge was filed against a third man in April 2013 in Gloucestershire, West England, who is now in his 30s.
None of the accused victims can be identified under English law.
The CPS, which brought the case to England and Wales, and the police both mentioned Spacey by his full name, Kevin Spacey Fowler.
The British legal restrictions are limited to what the media can report until the case comes before a jury for not anticipating any trial.
The CPS said that while considering whether the charge would be approved, it assessed “a fair, independent and purposeful” assessment of whether a case should go to court.
The lawsuit against Stacey in 2017 ended her involvement in filming the final season of the political drama “House of Cards.”
He was dropped from Netflix’s Gore Vidal biopic and starred industrialist John Paul Getty in “All the Money in the World”.
Christopher Plummer was brought in as a last-minute substitute.
Stacey, considered one of the best actors of his generation, has previously denied similar allegations in the United States.
There, a criminal case against him for sexual harassment was dropped in 2019.
The actor is currently in New York and is facing a civil case arising out of an abandoned criminal act, US court documents show.
British media said it was understood he had not been formally charged in the UK because he was not in the country, and there was no immediate word on whether he should be extradited.
(This story was not edited by NDTV staff and was automatically generated from a syndicated feed.)