The United States has condemned North Korea for launching three ballistic missiles and called on Pyongyang to opt for dialogue.
“The United States condemns the launch of multiple ballistic missiles by the DPRK,” a State Department spokesman said late Tuesday, using Washington’s official name, the Democratic People’s Republic of Korea.
“We urge the DPRK to refrain from further provocations and engage in a sustainable and meaningful dialogue,” he said.
The relatively muted response comes days after the U.S. public warned that North Korea could test a missile or atomic bomb between President Joe Biden’s just-concluded visit to South Korea and Japan.
A State Department spokesman said the launches were “in violation of multiple UN Security Council resolutions and a threat to the region.”
U.S. National Security Adviser Jack Sullivan has condemned the launch in a phone call with his South Korean counterpart Kim Sung-han after he returned to Washington with Biden.
A statement from the White House said, “Both sides have condemned the DPRK’s unstable ballistic missile test and are committed to maintaining close coordination.”
In line with an assessment in Seoul, the White House said three missiles had been launched. South Korea suspected it had an intercontinental ballistic missile.
The Biden administration has repeatedly called for dialogue with North Korea, possibly at the level of rank-and-file diplomats, but there has been no encouragement in return.
North Korean leader Kim Jong Un has had three splash meetings with Biden’s predecessor, Donald Trump, who said he was “in love” with his young rival but had not reached a lasting agreement.
Even with North Korea’s public outcry, the United States has imposed tough sanctions through the UN Security Council, although diplomats say China and Russia are ready to block any action.
(Except for the title, this story was not edited by NDTV staff and was published from a syndicated feed.)